The Pleasant Unity VFD was organized in 1917 shortly after the "Big Fire" that destroyed more than a dozen buildings in both residential and business district of the town. The fire started in the Novis Clothing store on Church Street and consumed 2 bakerys, a barber shop, butcher shop, hardware store, grocery store, warehouse, odd fellow building, jewelry store and the PU branch of Red Cross. The fire was stopped 4 hours later by miners who used dynamite to blow up a house which stopped the blaze from spreading further. 12 families were left homeless and another 7 homes were made uninhabitable by the fire. Extinguishers brought from Latrobe were no match for the fire and a chemical truck sent from Greensburg broke down on its way.
Pleasant Unity VFD's home response area serves the areas of Pleasant Unity, Jamison, Shantytown, Lycippus, Humphreys, Frogtown, Possum Hollow, Glengary, Hillside Estates, Weatherton Estates, High Meadows, The Highlands and the Arnold Palmer Regional Airport including the new Westmoreland County Air Park in Unity Township. The PUVFD moved into its current 3 truck bay station on Volunteer Drive in 1985 after outgrowing the former garage built in 1949 which was located on Main Street.
The 1st fire equipment consisted of two 30 gallon chemical tanks drawn by hand. Later, the chemical tanks were mounted on a model T Ford which was bought by the department. In 1940, a 500 gallon American LaFrance Fire Truck was purchased then in 1943 a Dodge truck was bought and a 250 gallon portable pump was mounted to it. A Ford F-6 500 GPM pumper with 300 Gallons of water was built in 1952 by the Howe Fire Apparatus Company for the PUVFD. In 1957 a Ford F-9 Pumper Tanker was purchased from American Fire Apparatus Co. A squad truck was purchased in 1967 and later sold in 1974. In 1973, a used 1959 John Bean high pressure fog truck was purchased from the Monesson Fire Department and later used as a rescue truck. In 1976, a Ford 1000 GPM pumper built by Emergency One Fire Equipment Company with 750 Gallons of water was put in service. In 1991, a Mack rescue truck was built for PUVFD also by the Emergency One Fire Equipment Company. In 1999, PUVFD combined the 1991 rescue truck and the 1976 pumper into a 1999 Ferrara combination rescue/pumper truck. PUVFD also housed and operated two former aerial trucks owned by the Unity Township Fire Bureau, a 1963 Mack Maxim 85 foot ladder formerly owned by Massapequa Long Island, NY and a 1977 Kenworth 85 foot LTI tower ladder formerly owned by Garden City Park, NJ Fire Company.
The Current equipment includes a 2011 Sutphen/Precision Custom Rescue Pumper Combination Unit and a 1999 Ford 4WD Utility Brush Truck. We continue to house and operate the Unity Township 2004 Emergency One 95 foot tower ladder truck as well.
Pleasant Unity Volunteer Fire Department celebrated 100 years of service in 2017 by hosting the Westmoreland County Firemen's Association annual convention in conjunction with commemorating 100 years of PUVFD firefighters who served over the years. PUVFD continues it's legacy with 100% ALL VOLUNTEER membership.
REFLECTIVE ADDRESS SIGNS
Junior Firefighters are needed!! The fire companies that comprise the Unity Township Fire Bureau have initiated a Junior Firefighter Recruitment Campaign at the Greater Latrobe Senior High School. Please watch the short video produced by Greater Latrobe students to help with our campaign by clicking the link below.
Any prospective Junior Firefighter or their parents who have any questions may contact Chief John Bacha at firstname.lastname@example.org.